Under Texas law, people who drive in Texas are required to maintain automobile insurance. The minimum insurance limits allowed are $25,000 for each injured person, with a total of $50,000 per accident. This coverage is required so that if you are at fault in an accident, the other party involved in the accident can have medical expenses and other damages paid. 

However, although automobile insurance is required, many Texans do not purchase it. When that person causes an automobile accident, the other party often does not have a way to recover for property damage and medical expenses. For that reason, I highly recommend that drivers purchase uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.

Uninsured motorist coverage pays for damages caused by a driver with no insurance, and underinsured coverage pays for damages caused by a driver with an insufficient amount of coverage to pay for the damages suffered in the accident. Typically, uninsured / underinsured (also known as UM/UIM) motorist coverage does not add a large additional premium cost to the insurance policy, and the coverage can become invaluable in the event of an accident.

If you are involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist, and you do not have uninsured motorist coverage on your vehicle, it may be difficult to recover. In some situations, the driver may have a sufficient amount of assets that you can pursue in a personal injury lawsuit. However, this is usually not the case – if the individual had a lot of assets, he or she would most likely have automobile insurance.

Have you been injured in a Dallas automobile accident that was caused by another driver? If so, contact Dallas automobile accident attorney Kris Barber at 972-231-5805 or email main@thebarberlawfirm.com to learn more about your legal options.