After a personal injury accident occurs, it can be very confusing to figure out who is responsible for paying your damages. Will any of your personal insurance policies cover the accident? What about the policies of any other parties involved in the accident?

Most automobile, homeowners’, and commercial liability insurance policies contain coverage for medical expenses incurred after an accident without regard to who was at fault for the accident. This coverage in automobile policies typically applies to the insured’s family members and the vehicle’s passengers only, while homeowners’ policies and commercial policies cover only visitors to the premises.

Health insurance, worker’s compensation insurance, or disability insurance carriers usually will pay benefits arising from accidental injuries. However, if you file a personal injury claim against another person or a business and that claim succeeds, then the insurance provider will probably require you to repay these benefits to the company. If the accidental injury is primarily your own fault, then only health insurance (such as through your employer), worker’s compensation, or medical payments coverage may apply. If you are in an accident caused by an uninsured driver, you can be compensated by your own “uninsured motorist” coverage (if you have it) applying the same general rules as insured drivers.

Dealing with your insurance company or companies, as well as any other party’s insurance company after an accident can be frustrating. If you have been involved in an accident in the Dallas area, contact Dallas personal injury attorney Kris Barber at 817-527-8833. He has extensive experience in working with insurance companies and can help protect your rights.