In the Dallas area, road construction seems like a constant. Although the construction may just seem like an annoyance to most drivers, statistics show that the road construction in the Dallas – Fort Worth area is actually dangerous. In 2012, Dallas County had 2,446 accidents that were construction-related. Those accidents resulted in nine deaths. Tarrant County had even more – 3,048 accidents in 2012 in which road construction played a role. Among those crashes, 13 were killed.
The director of TXDOT admitted that there has been an increase in work zone crashes and said they are trying to fix the problem by both educational programs and through law enforcement. Although having safeguards in place will help fix part of the problem, another part of the problem relates to drivers. In about half of the construction-related accidents, drivers were either speeding, driving while distracted, or in some cases both.
How do you stay safe in Dallas construction zones?
When you are driving through construction zones, here are a few safety tips you can follow to make sure you don’t end up as a statistic:
– Don’t speed through construction zones! Drive slower than usual!
– Keep your eyes on the road. Although sitting in construction traffic can be boring, don’t use that time to send emails or texts. Instead, pay attention to what’s going on around you.
– Be alert for highway workers. Road construction workers are killed every year in the U.S., and if you pay attention you can avoid accidents.
– Follow the signs. If the signs tell you to slow down to 30 miles per hour, do so even if that seems too slow.
– If possible, avoid highway construction altogether. Not only does it slow you down, it can be dangerous and frustrating. If possible, change your routes if you know a road will be under construction.
If you’re in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, and you have been involved in a road construction accident, call the Dallas work zone accident attorneys at the Barber Law Firm at 866-986-1529. We will provide the help you need.