A tragic incident that occurred recently in Texas illustrates the danger of dog bites, even bites that may appear mild. On Christmas Day last year, a Texas woman was bitten by her daughter’s dog, which left a small scratch on her finger. She didn’t realize anything was wrong until 48 hours later, when she went to the hospital with a fever and vomiting. Her organs began failing, and her legs and fingers were amputated. Doctors eventually discovered that the problems were a result of bacteria in the dog’s saliva, which is usually harmless unless the victim has a compromised immune system.
Although this dog bite was minor, it resulted in serious medical issues. Other dog bites result in serious injuries at the time of the bite. Every day, about 1,000 Americans require emergency care because of dog bites. Most of the bites occur to the extremities (the arms, legs, hands or feet). Most victims of dog bites knew the dog, and most occur on or near the victim’s property. About two-of the serious bites which result in deaths are attributable to two breeds: Pitt bulls and Rottweilers.
If you have been bitten by a dog, it’s important that you take action. First, seek medical treatment, even if the bite seems minor. There may be steps that can be taken to prevent more serious health issues from developing. Let the property owner know what happened if he or she doesn’t – if a dog poses a danger, it’s important that the situation be taken care of as quickly as possible. Finally, you may wish to talk with an attorney. You may be entitled to compensation from the dog’s owner or another responsible party.
If you have suffered dog bite injuries, call the Dallas – Fort Worth personal injury attorneys at the Barber Law Firm at 866-986-1529. Our attorneys are happy to give you a free consultation about your case.