That controversial police memo directing cops to not respond to certain crimes has quickly been rescinded according to an NBC 5 DFW article from January 4th. In it they say:
“A city of Dallas memorandum dated Jan. 1 that said in most cases police officers would not be dispatched to certain types of calls like car thefts, criminal mischief and child custody disputes, was rescinded Saturday afternoon. Quietly released, many learned about the directive via social media, including Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) who tweeted a scathing response Saturday. Dallas’ incoming police chief, Eddie Garcia, will join the department from San Jose, California, where he served as chief for the last five years. Hours after the governor’s tweet, Dallas Police issued a statement saying the directive had been rescinded.”
Many were quick to voice their displeasure with the new directive, including Texas Gov. Greg Abbot according to a Dallas Morning News article from January 3rd. In it they say:
“Abbott responded to news of the memo Saturday on Twitter, saying: ‘The state of Texas will begin work this month to fix this. Everyone in our state deserves to be safe from crime,’ he said. ‘We will restore law and order in Texas.’ Later that evening, Dallas police said the memo had been rescinded because it was issued prematurely while the department is still evaluating the proposal to direct callers to the online reporting system, which was introduced in June 2019 to help with staffing shortages.”
It looks like Dallas leaders are not keen on the new directives, and given all the negative backlash, it looks like these directive drafts aren’t going to be pushing through.